Starting with the battery storage area. There was one single large 12 volt battery (gel type). I knew that I wanted to upgrade to a dual battery system. I also knew that I wanted to change the key switch out so that I could put in an automatic charging relay (ACR) switch that would manage the power from the alternator to distribution for the needs on the boat. This project was scheduled for the summer.
Another area that I had initially exposed was the boat's bilge. I had a rough schematic of the boat's design and saw that the bilge pump was located in the wrong place. It was located toward the stern when it should have been located in the second position forward. See Figure 14.
The bilge of the Constance Marie
Anyhow, I took a 1/16 drill bit and drilled into each of the stringers. The first and second position stringer found no wood. i was not worried as the stringers were fiberglassed 1/2 thick and I felt that this was sufficent for the foreseeable future.
Turning to the engine, it was red, dirty, smelled a bit and all mine! Look closely at the lower left corner of Figure 15 and you can even see evidence of a past fire. Oh great! I used to drop volkswagen engines when I was a teen, but this was a bit different, but not that different.
It was a closed system, meaning that an impeller drove a raw water system that served to wrap around and help cool the anti-freeze radiator system that cooled the engine. The water looked like it discharged out the exhaust hose. There was no raw water filter leading into the engine, there was a series of pumps, alternator, fuel injectors, generator, etc. What I did not like was that it was difficult to get to many of these and that there was no spare parts kit. This was the original engine and considered experimental as most Hunter 27 in the Cherubini era had Yanmars or Renaults in them. I was concerned about the burned areas of the bulkhead and whatever unseen damage it may indicate. The engine would have to come out, Her motor mounts inspected and repaired, all the filters would be made available by hanging them on the starboard bulkhead and the engine well all painted a brilliant white. I would create a project BOM for this to be done during the warmer days that lie ahead.
The Stuffing Box of Mordor
Gee, January was really cold. Needed to get some heat into the boat. The boatyard has ruggedized power stations throughout and so a 100 foot yellow extension cord (see Figure 15 above) was run to one of them. This provided power a 1500w portable heater when I was working on the boat. It would have been unfair to the club's expenses to run it otherwise. It was unplugged when not in use. I needed to focus on stuff that I could work on at home during these next couple of months until mid-March when days would begin to warm up.
Lesson Learned: Don't start too many projects at once. They will overwhelm you and one can get burned out as I did between the months of March, April and May. I barely got anything done between that time.