April is the month in our region when things at our Yacht Club's boatyard start hopping. Since January Mooring crews have been busy welding chains and replacing schackles. Now they have near 100 to put back in the water. Docks and Waterfront have repaired the floating docks and have positioned them at the loading and mooring docks. The Burning of the Socks is this Saturday. We usually turn out about 100 folks, with a Piper, and the ceremony starts at 1600 with the Blessing of the Fleet, then over to the shoreline for the Crossing of the Bar with Eight Bells to remember lost ones, next the flag raising by our Commodore and Vice-Commodore supported by a cannon salute and finally the reading of the Club's version of the Burning of the Socks followed by guess what....the burning of those stinking old socks....
"FOR IF THE WINDS ARE BELOW TWENTY AND THE TEMPERATURE IS ABOVE THIRTY, WE WILL DOFF OUR SHOES AND PEEL OUR SOCKS OH SO DIRTY".
It's been a busy three weeks since my last blog entry. I finished putting in the final portals, painted the non-skid areas topside and sanded the teak floors in the galley and head. I heard back from my sail master that the torn Genoa is not-repairable. Well that means I have to confirm the I and J and go find me a 50%er. No new sails here on a 35 year boat. I will buy one that has 50% useful life left.
Regarding the portals, after removing the inside screws, I went topside and removed the exterior screws. I then took a hammer and two inch wide metal shim bar and worked my way around the portals outer frame until it pried loosed. This exposed the caulking used to waterproof the spigot. I used the knife on my Blacktip multi-tool to cut into the caulking to loosen the hold. This may take about 10 minutes. Once sufficiently loosened, I pushed the portal from inside and it fell onto the deck. Using a very sharp 1" wood chisel, I removed all the caulking and silicone that remained on both the interior and exterior flat surfaces. I then used my knife to run it along the opening's edge to remove any remaining caulking. I then sanded it with 80 grit sandpaper and ensured that the spigot would be be able to retain new adhesive. I cleaned all with acetone.
You can see above that the way Mr. Cherubini designed the drain holes made it very easy with the replacement. I did some research and being this is an old boat that flexes pretty good, I wanted to have the same dynamic with the portal. Given my research on Hunterowners.com, I decided to use GE Silicone II and generously filled the spigots and lined the interior framework. I then replaced the screws and watched the ooze come forth as I seated the new portal. I went topside and filled in the spigot from that side. Generously applied silicone to the back of the exterior frame and adhered it to the portals face. No screws necessary on this side. Cleaned up all the ooze with a razor blade and paper towels. Let dry and used the wood chisel to clean up the remaining silicon that had dried on the fiberglass and finished that off with some acetone.
Out with the Old
In with the New