Monday, April 27, 2015

From Dungarees to Mainsails

Figure 78 - It will be a great harvest
The spring rain is falling softly this evening. Most of the vegetable garden is planted. I examined the mainsail more closely and found that I had half a dozen areas along the leech side that required at least six inches each sewing repairs. I learned to sew as a young teenager in the sixties. We were leading up to Woodstock but it was around 1966 when I decided to patch my first set of jeans. At school it became cool to patch your torn jeans. So that is how it started. Never did migrate to a sewing machine. Adhering to my old school methods in the resurrection of the Constance Marie, I spent the next four nights mending the original Hunter 27 mainsail.  I think I did a good job and believe that I might have extended the life of it by 2-3 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment